Custom lamp base - Paint it!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

So how in the world do you find the perfect lamp base... the perfect blue lamp base. If you are me, you stumble upon beautiful blue lamps (for under $25!) and immediately order two. Wait anxiously for your beautiful lamps to arrive.


Now this step is very important: open up the package when they arrive and be super disappointed when one is smashed to pieces. Become even more disappointed when you find out that they have zero left and can't send you a replacement.

It was really difficult to find other blue lamps for a reasonable price... almost impossible. Since we really needed the extra lighting in our living room I decided to take matters into my own hands. On Pinterest, I saw that you could paint small glasses and vases by swirling paint around the inside.

Enter IKEA.

They have big, clear, glass lamps with a big hole for the bottom. These beauties are pretty much screaming to be painted.

Before.




I cleaned the inside of the lamps with some rubbing alcohol and then poured in some acrylic paint through the bottom. Next, I swirled the paint around until the lamp was all covered and let it dry for a long time.

After.



How easy was that? I like the finished result because you still get the nice, polished glass surface on the outside but with the blue color (protected from scratches) on the inside. I am still not crazy about the plain white shades but I haven't decided what I want to do with them yet.

On a completely different note: do you like the tissue box cover I made? I think it is fabulous.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...